Saturday, June 25, 2011

Pretty Pickles

When the garden gives you a bunch of really bitter cucumbers, it's time to make pickles! I had never made pickles before, but once again, allrecipes came through and provided me with a simple, highly rated recipe. Really, the reviews are just as important as the actual recipe.

There are the cucumbers, mocking me by looking good and tasting pretty awful.


About to meet their match!


Fancy, crinkled cuke chips.


Bright yellow bell pepper for extra crunch.


Waiting to be doused in pickle juice.


Sterilizing the jars. Makes a nice sound.


Vinegar, a bit of salt and lots of sugar get boiled until the sugar dissolves and the liquid is clear.


Poured onto unsuspecting veggies...


...and ladled into the mostly sterile jars. I did use tongs to handle them. But then I probably breathed on them inadvertently.


In less than an hour I had a nice row of very attractive looking pickles.


Pickling worked wonders on the less bitter cucumbers, but the bitterest ones still have a bit of bite to them. At least that was my experience with my first taste test. Hopefully they will sweeten up the longer I leave them in the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment