Saturday, June 18, 2011

Lunch on the Go

Will I ever eat lunch at home again? As I embark on my 7th day of work this week (the result of having 2 jobs), the answer is not looking too good. Maybe at the end of July, when I wrap up both of them, I can actually eat my mid-day meal off a plate again instead of digging it out of a plastic container. How civilized!!

But, right now it's mid-June, so meals that can be packed up are where it's at. This week's concoction was pasta salad, so I boiled up some cheese tortellini...


...prepped garlic for mincing...


...and made the dressing in the bottom of the large container that would house my week's worth of salad in the fridge at home. The dressing is simple and refreshing: olive oil, white wine vinegar, some water, garlic, salt & pepper and le piece de resistance, fresh basil. The picture below hardly does it justice, since it's not scratch-n-sniff.


While the pasta drained in the sink, I sliced up mushrooms and red bell pepper and added them with several cups of lettuce and spinach to the dressing in the container.


The tortellini was the last ingredient to get added to the mix. Look at those lovely layers of goodness.


I put the lid on and gave the whole thing a few good shakes.


Unlike other pre-dressed salads, this one didn't get overly soggy as the week went on. The greens got a bit stuck together, but the dressing is light enough to keep everything tasting fresh. I think there is one more serving for today, then I will have to come up with something new for next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment