Thursday, May 26, 2011

Coconut Heaven Cake

When the world didn't end over the weekend, I decided to make this aptly named recipe to celebrate! Since I haven't given up my worldly possessions to caravan across the country spreading the word, the next five months could get pretty bleak. Might as well eat cake!

Actually, I wanted to make this recipe so I could use up the 1/2 can of coconut milk left over from the lentil soup before it got moldy. The truth is so much less exciting; but the results are still divine.

The original recipe is from Vegan with a Vengeance, the awesome cookbook that also provided the recipe for Raspberry Blondie Bars. I cheated again this time, using what was already on hand (real butter and skim milk) so my version can only claim to be egg-less.


The batter doesn't really look that good. Blame the canola oil.


Mixed together and ready to bake. The original recipe is for cupcakes, but I was feeling lazy recalling that it was a pain in the butt to frost all the cupcakes last time. So this time I used a single square 9" x 9" pan.


While the cake was baking, I made the frosting. Here is where I cheated with the real butter, and it made the frosting stick together much better than when I used margarine. Regardless of which creamy base is used, the recipe makes a lot of frosting! I had some leftover, and have been using it on my oatmeal in the mornings with fresh berries. I hate to waste food you know. ;-)


Remembering how good the cupcakes were when I made them the first time, I could hardly wait to cut into this cake when it came out of the oven. Without letting it properly set, my first serving was more of a blob, with another blob of melt-y frosting on the top and for a little flavor contrast, a blob of berry jam on top.


The cake truly lived up to its name yesterday when I packed a small piece in my lunch. Eating it in the rather shabby break room at work, I felt transported to another dimension, worlds away from the corporate posters and spilled soda on the table. Heavenly indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment