Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Vegan Raspberry Blondies

While I love cheese too much to adopt the vegan lifestyle on a daily basis, I like to try vegan dessert recipes...pretending that the word "vegan" makes them better for you. The biggest difference between vegan baking and traditional baking is that you can't use eggs. There are a few things you can use as substitutes like tofu or ground flaxseeds, but I prefer using things that are easy to find and ready to use at the regular grocery store like almond milk and soy yogurt.

The following recipe comes from Vegan with a Vengance, which I borrowed from the library a while back and loved. I tried maybe half a dozen recipes from it, and while they were all good, this is the one I still think about on a regular basis.

Start by preparing the raspberry layer: frozen raspberries, a little cornstarch, water and sugar simmered down into a nice thick sauce.


Next prepare the blondie layer: flour, sugar, almond milk, soy yogurt, canola oil, vanilla and baking soda combined to make a thick dough. Bonus points for coordinating outfits with the dessert you are preparing :-)



Set aside 1 cup of the dough mixture, then spread the rest in the bottom of a greased 9 x 13 pan. Cover with raspberry sauce, then crumble reserved dough mixture and sprinkle chocolate chips on top. I used regular semi sweet chocolate chips, which I do not believe are vegan; but then again I also used regular yogurt in this batch as well (shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!)


Bake at 350 F for 35 minutes. The top becomes a nice golden brown.


Delicious! The preparation isn't much harder than a prepared brownie or cake mix, but the results are in a different league completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment