Monday, May 9, 2011

Cool as a Cucumber

Oh, how the garden grows!

I am very excited about it. In the weeks since I last posted, I transplanted some of the indoor ones outside with very little success, but thankfully the plants I sowed outside are all doing really well.

From the kitchen you can see green things poking up above the side walls. And the fancy tomato cages from Home Depot. Last year, the garden was a total hodge-podge of sticks, broken broom handles and cracked PVC pipe from the garage. This year, knowing that things would actually grow, I did a little more preparation to ensure they would grow in a more orderly fashion.


There are 3 watermelon vines...



2.5 zucchini plants (.5 because I tried moving one yesterday, and it's too early to tell if it will make it)...

3 clusters of tomatoes. When I went out today to water, the tallest one had some buds on it! I feel like a proud parent, watching my offspring grow and develop from seed to fruiting plant.


And as the title of the post implies, 3 cucumber vines, all looking fine.


I love the tendrils. A true wonder of nature; so delicate looking, yet strong enough to hold the whole plant up.


And finally, the first flower and fruit (!) of this year's crop. One tiny cucumber. It was all alone on Saturday when I snapped these photos, but was joined by a second one as of Monday afternoon.


Some of the mystery plants are also flowering, but the blooms aren't giving me any clues as to what they are. I guess I will just have to wait and see!

No comments:

Post a Comment