Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Feelin' Fancy

I had a great weekend...two whole days entirely to myself. I actually made some progress on my monster of a to-do list, but also went shopping, painted my toenails and spent an afternoon watching the first Sex and the City movie on TV. Recharged, I decided to tackle a new recipe for dinner Sunday night.

Thank you Redbook magazine for featuring "Indian Spiced Lentil Soup" in the last issue I picked up pre-read at the library for $0.50!

The recipe calls for garam masala, but after searching high and low in the spice section of the grocery store and only finding one bottle that sold for about $7, and then reading the side and realizing it was comprised of things that were probably lurking in the cupboard at home, I decided to spend my $7 on a mediocre bottle of wine instead.

When it was time to cook, I didn't feel like getting out the computer just to look up which spices make up garam masala, so I did my best from memory. I ended up adding about 1/4 tsp each of the following:


Three out of seven from this mix on Allrecipes ain't too bad! And in my defense, I am pretty sure the one at the grocery store only listed five.

One other odd ingredient in the recipe was a can of fire roasted tomatoes. I've only ever heard of roasted peppers, but they make tomatoes too (at least Hunt's does. I couldn't find them in the store brand.)


The spices and canned ingredients get added to a pot with onions, lentils and long grain rice and simmered for a total of 40 minutes. Towards the end, add the Swiss chard ( I substituted spinach because there was a Costco pack of pre-washed, ready to eat in the fridge) and stir until wilted.


I served myself up some soup with a roll and salad (more spinach!) on the side. The soup got a spoonful of plain Greek yogurt swirled in and I dressed the salad with Blueberry-Pomegranate Vinegarette dressing that I found on sale for $0.99 at the store. I also had a glass of the mediocre wine on the side, mixed with a splash of cranberry juice.


Bon appetite! A nice way to end a very nice weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment