Friday, May 27, 2011

Great Minds

Keizo's dinner from about a week ago. Pay attention to the food occupying the 12 o'clock position on the plate.


Here's what I made after work today. Look familiar?


Not really coincidence, but thanks to technology and zucchini being in season both here and in Japan, Keizo and I can eat the same thing within days of each other. Kinda cool, no?

I think Keizo got his zucchini at the Wai Wai Farm, the local co-op grocery store in Fukutsu (I know I mentioned it a few times in the early posts) but I did him one better and got mine from the backyard. That's my home grown "teeny" zucchini on the top and the week old, store bought one on the bottom.


I couldn't taste much of a difference between the two. But then again, zucchini isn't really known for its strong flavor. The dark green and light spots made for a lovely salad.


The recipe we both used is one I have written on a tiny scrap of paper tucked in the binder where I keep recipes. I don't remember where it's from, but most likely the vast world wide web. It's called Zucchini Slaw and is really simple.
  • 1 cup zucchini, diced (I used at least 1 1/2 cups)
  • 1/2 c chopped onion, diced
  • 1 Tbsp white sugar
  • 1 Tbsp fresh basil, finely chopped
  • 2 Tbsp red bell pepper, diced
  • 2 Tbsp lemon juice
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Put all ingredients in a bowl (I started by dissolving the sugar in the lemon juice,) toss to coat and refrigerate until ready to serve (today that was about 20 minutes!)

I also looked to Japan for inspiration for the rest of dinner--okonomiyaki!! I made it vegetarian, with cabbage, onion, carrot shreds and some provolone cheese.


The real flavor comes from the toppings; a bit of mayo and okonomi sauce from the import grocery store all the way across town, and a sprinkle of nori.


This dinner was way more filling than the picture would suggest.


ごちそうさまでした。Gochisoama deshita. (That was delicious)

No comments:

Post a Comment