Friday, January 17, 2014

Week of Eats-Jan 12

I've got nothing in terms of a catchy title and introduction today.  I must have left my creativity in the kitchen this week.




I think this is the third time I have made Green Tuna Enchiladas, and they came out even better than the first two times due to the fact that I replaced the half & half called for in the recipe with about 1/2 cup of plain greek yogurt.  I liked this recipe before because it is really easy to put together with ingredients I usually have on hand, and like it even better now that I have made the sauce even creamier and more delicious!

My large salad from lunch last weekend had quite the variety of ingredients including spinach, shredded cabbage, cheddar cheese, avocado, crumbled veggie burger and pickles!  I took salad for lunch most days this week; they had the same base of spinach and cabbage, but were topped with more traditional toppings like carrots, cucumber, feta and balsamic dressing.

This spicy peanut chicken was the new recipe from the week that worked out (the Italian Pizza Bake hardly deserves a mention).  I threw all of the ingredients in the crock pot before I left for work, skipping the step that mentioned pre-searing the chicken, since that goes against my whole crock pot philosophy and "wake up as late as possible and still get to work on time" habit.  The cooking time may have been a little long as the chicken was bit dry, and I think next time I will add more peanut butter, but these are some leftovers I am looking forward to finishing!  I served the chicken with couscous and garlicky sauteed spinach and zucchini and felt like I was eating a dish from a magazine spread.

In addition to the other winners pictured here, I also made some really beautiful eggs for breakfast one morning.  What a great way to start the day, feeling accomplished before even leaving the house!  It's the little things in life...


Kitchen tip: reheat pizza in a fry pan to retain a crispy crust.


...and speaking of little things, the department I work in has a practice of enticing people to meetings by providing lunch.  And while there may be no such thing as a free lunch--the recipients do have spend at least an hour of their time listening to someone drone on about their project/vision--there is such thing as a free dinner if you happen to respond quickly enough to the e-mail announcing there are leftovers behind the front desk.  This week there happened to be a ton of leftovers from two separate catered meetings, so I got to come home with two pieces of pizza and leftover pasta salad.  Check out the neat-o pasta shapes; I have dubbed it mohawk macaroni.

No comments:

Post a Comment