Sunday, January 12, 2014

Warming Foods

Though it was certainly colder in many other places, Charlottesville was not immune to the polar vortex that swept North America early last week.  I am glad to report that I survived the coldest temperatures I have ever experienced--a mere 7*F or nearly -14*C--with lots of layers and hot foods.

  • The Stuffed Cabbage Soup was easy to put together, and practically a whole meal in one pot.  The only downside I experienced was as a single eater, I still have a serving left over a week later.
  • Looking to eat a bit lighter these first few weeks of the new year, I tried this Stir Fry with Collards & Mushrooms recipe.  The flavor was quite good, but I don't think my stomach nor palette are big fans of nearly raw collards.  
  • Somewhat surprising given the weather, I only had oatmeal for breakfast once this week.   I think I overdid it with this bowl, which I had trouble finishing.
  • I dusted off my crockpot to make a batch of vegetarian chili, and then had to come up with some creative ways to finish it off.  The "fries" (oven roasted potatoes) were the end of it, thankfully.


I did my meal planning for the week yesterday, choosing two new recipes to try out and making a grocery list that seems much shorter than usual.  Hopefully that doesn't mean I will run out of food!

No comments:

Post a Comment