Thursday, March 14, 2013

"Wrapping" up Feburary

This is the last post I have planned about Keizo's visit back in February.  Seeing as life has totally moved on, I would like to as well--but the following was one of the best things "we" made.

I arrived home from class one Monday evening to the aromas of garlic and ginger and found Keizo in the kitchen with a big bowl of minced pork, cabbage, and green onions a.k.a. the filling for gyoza (potstickers).


We had bought won-ton wrappers at the grocery store, and worked together to get them filled and ready to pan fry.  I cheated and used a little handheld crimper, but Keizo relived his childhood and folded them expertly by hand.

He then put the gyoza in the oiled frying pan, about 8-10 at a time, added some water and covered them to cook.  The filling made a ton of gyoza!  My memory is a bit fuzzy, but I think we had about 60 won-ton wrappers, which we divided over two meals, making about 30 gyoza at a time.  




The first time we used vegetable oil in the pan; the second time we tried coconut oil and I thought the difference was incredible.  The coconut oil tasted slightly sweet and much lighter than the regular vegetable oil.



I probably could have made a meal out of the gyoza alone, but even when he isn't exercising twice a day, Keizo's appetite is much larger than mine, so we made some pad thai on the side for our first meal, and whipped up some tasty okonomiyaki for the second.






These meals reminded me I don't cook nearly enough Japanese food on my own!  Perhaps I should get a copy of this book for inspiration...

No comments:

Post a Comment