Saturday, March 23, 2013

A Week of Eats--March 17

A few late evenings make for very little cooking this week.  


Last Sunday I went out to dinner with my brother and had corned beef and cabbage for St. Patrick's Day! 

(a + d) Monday marked the true end of Spring Break.  After my take home mid-term I made shrimp curry and quinoa.

On Tuesday I had an appointment at 5:30 to get my taxes done, expected to by home around 6:30, go for a run and make dinner.  Instead the appointment took two hours, and I didn't eat dinner until 8 :-(  The refund from my paltry earnings will be worth it in the end.

Every Wednesday I have class from 7-10, so dinner was a bagel and soup from Bodo's.  Didn't get home until almost 11.

(b) Finally on Thursday I was home at a regular hour, went for a long-ish run in the freezing cold and made "Brazilian Black Beans and Rice" for dinner.  The recipe is one of my mom's staples and starts out like this: "I might sautee the onions and garlic in a little oil first, or maybe I just throw everything in together."  I decided to go the sautee route, and it tasted just as I expected it to.

Friday was a long day at school.  I gave my first-ever "tour" for an admitted grad student, and thankfully she was way more prepared than I, and had a lot of good questions.  I went to a lunchtime discussion about recycling, and spent the afternoon making a lot of maps.  Made quick pesto pasta when I got home.

(c + f) Today, I slept in and made a batch of banana crumb muffins before heading into school for a bit.  When I arrived at school, I learned that the drive I was saving all of my work to yesterday crashed, which made for a frustrating and repetitive morning.  I ate two muffins for lunch and engaged in some retail therapy at Goodwill.  When I got home, I went for run around the neighborhood and while the weather was nice, the run was not--two banana muffins are not adequate fuel for the hills around here.  

(e) I replenished at dinner with a hearty "taco salad" with leftover black beans, corn, greens, tomatoes, cheese, Greek yogurt and some tortilla chip shards from the bottom of the bag on the side.

The cupboard is pretty bare, but I don't have any inspiring ideas for next week yet.  Maybe something in the crock-pot?

No comments:

Post a Comment