Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Leftovers no more

I have finally finished my leftovers from last week! It seems like they have been around for a lot longer than that though.

Leftovers can be wonderful. I definitely don't have the energy nor the inspiration to cook every night; so in that sense, they are completely necessary. However, when I had them for two meals on Sunday and still wasn't quite done, I was approaching the end of my rope.

At least one of the repetitive meals was super photogenic. Soup and salad featuring week old greens and even older cabbage (in the soup).


For the soup, I halved this recipe and added a bunch of things from the fridge/freezer. The soup base is a can of diced tomatoes and half a can of refried beans with 1-2 cups of "stock" (water with all purpose seasoning...that's basically what bullion is, right?) plus frozen veggies, cabbage, and meatless crumbles topped with tortilla chips and some parmesean cheese. Quite good, and ready in about 15 minutes. Tough to beat...at least the first time around.

Salad is old greens from giant tub I thought I would have no trouble finishing before it got soggy (early in the summer, I did eat a Costco sized tub of spinach pretty much all by myself while my parents were out of town for 10 days. Not so much this time and I can't explain it) plus diced peach, pecans and fresh herbed cheese drizzled with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. The cheese really did the trick, as it should for $7. I can't help it if I have expensive tastes!


No comments:

Post a Comment