Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Dining Hall at Home

Apparently there is something about Wednesdays that makes me feel the urge to cook. Tonight I was inspired by 3 days of cloudy, wet weather and an ongoing hankering for pizza. And fries. A typical student meal, except without a meal plan I get to make them myself.

I only used 1 of the suggested 4 sweet potatoes the recipe called for and neglected to modify the other ingredients, so these were oilier than they should have been. Not exactly crispy either. Next time I might try them in a frying pan instead of the oven.


I made my own yeast-less pizza dough with this recipe. On this one I remembered to halve all of the ingredients. I had a nice round base all spread out on the cutting board, but when I tried to transfer it to the pan, it ended up looking like this:


I covered it with these...


...starting with a layer of pesto and meatless crumbles.


The was a slight mishap with a sliding hot mitt as I was removing the pizza from the oven, making it look even wonkier than it already was, so there is no photo of the final product save for the slices on my plate below (note the missing cheese on left piece.)


Cheeseless...so sad. Also sad is the fact that I unwittingly bought low fat feta cheese at the store and it tastes nothing like the full fat version and doesn't really melt either. At least this meal used up a fair amount of the container.


Mmmmmm fries. Thankfully it would take something much worse than failing to calibrate a recipe properly to make sweet potatoes taste bad.


And now that dinner has been cooked, eaten and cleaned up after, it's back to school work. Ugh, there have already been a few days where I can't believe I signed up for this willingly!!

No comments:

Post a Comment