Saturday, January 22, 2011

Mother knows best

Scary but true--moms often know what they are talking about. In addition to shiny little nuggets of wisdom such as "beauty must suffer" and "evaporation is a cooling process," one of my mother's most frequent "mom-isms" is "you'll feel better after you eat."

After yet another failed attempt at starting the day before the clock hit double digits, I was lying in bed feeling a bit guilty for sleeping away my relative youth and dreading the moment when my feet would inevitably have to touch the cold floor on the way to the bathroom when these familiar words crept into the front of my mind. Being that it was almost lunchtime, and I can only eat so many pieces of toast and eggs, I decided to bump tonight's dinner recipe up to lunch. Keizo is out of town for a rugby game, so the recipe I had chosen was "Spicy Chickpeas and Tomatoes" from an old issue of Vegetarian Times.

The first step was to roast the cumin and mustard I had successfully found at the grocery store yesterday in a fry pan before adding the olive oil and chopped onions.


While the onion cooked, I chopped up some spinach and drained the chickpeas.


After adding all of the ingredients to the fry pan, letting it simmer for about 10 minutes and re-heating some leftover rice, I was ready to eat. And since it was my first meal of the day, there was coffee to go with it.



The recipe is supposed to feed four, but I think Keizo will be very lucky if there is any left for him to try when he gets back after dinner tonight.

Thanks Mom, I do feel better now that I have eaten.

No comments:

Post a Comment