Saturday, July 30, 2011

SoCal Specials

The good eating continued the rest of the week. The competition for the title of best meal is super close; dinner and catching up with Lindsay at the Prado restaurant in Balboa Park was top notch (I was enjoying myself too much to take any photos) but I also really liked the food from the Kogi truck (very California; see bottom of post.) My least favorite meal was probably lunch in La Jolla...too greasy. The restaurant did have a great patio overlooking the road down to the ocean though.

The morning of the day we decided to tackle the zoo we indulged in a gigantic Mexican-style breakfast. I ordered the breakfast burrito which was full of eggs, cheese and more cheese. Slathered with fresh salsa, it was pretty good, but mixed with some stolen turkey chorizo from Keizo's plate it was even better.


As mentioned above, Keizo ordered the turkey chorizo con huevo which also came with rice, beans and tortillas on the side. Our plates were both pretty clean when we left.


Two days later, we had our last lunch in San Diego at Seaport Village, a nice little tourist trap of a destination with shops, restaurants, and a promenade not far from downtown. We picked a restaurant on the water with some really slow service, but the food was brought out eventually. We both ordered salads; Keizo got a giant Cobb salad and I had the house salad with a bowl of clam chowder.


Keizo enjoyed his salad, especially the blue cheese crumbles. At one point on our trip he said he loved me almost as much as cheese! A high compliment indeed!

My chowder and salad. I suppose chowder is supposed to be thick, but I almost always think it is too thick. This probably comes from being raised on my mother's brothy soups, which my brother disdainfully referred to as "salad in water" in his younger days. The salad was pretty basic, but really fresh and the croutons were nice and garlicky. Mmmmmm.



Our last dinner in California came courtesy of the Kogi BBQ truck, which just happened to be a few blocks away from Cal Poly Pomona, where my college roommate, Kim is in grad school. What an experience! Food trucks are where it's at these days, and now I see why. And really, is there anything more Southern California than Korean BBQ tacos?

This is probably one of my favorite photos from the trip. Thanks Kim! Keizo is holding his spicy pork burrito, I have a spicy tofu taco in my hand and a kimchi quesadilla on my knees. Everything was good, but I think the burrito had a bit too much going on. Some of the meat flavor and spice got lost in the tortilla and rice in my opinion.


I loved the kimchi quesadilla!! Very messy to eat, and the taco plus bites of Keizo's burrito filled me up enough that I passed the last 1/4 off to Kim's classmates to finish. I don't think they minded though.

I can't wait to try and make my own version at home, although it probably won't be nearly as drippy and messy as this one. Nor will I make the tortilla and fry it in a bunch of grease. But I think it will still be pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment