Saturday, July 16, 2011

Ch-ch-changes

Summer is in full swing here, and probably almost everywhere else in the Northern Hemisphere. And while that may be good news for gardeners in cooler climates, it seems long days of scorching desert sun are a bit much for my tiny plot.

There are still some watermelons, but when I did some garden maintenance last week I ended up composting about 1/2 of them. Hopefully the remaining ones will stay firm and green now that the mushy, yellow ones are no longer around to influence them otherwise.


Rotten, wonky fruit salad. Bye-bye!


One scraggly cucumber vine left after I took out about 4 dead ones.


One zucchini left too. The plant in the front yielded most of the zucchinis earlier in the season and is still producing flowers. I fed everything after pruning back the dead stuff with the hopes I can coax a few more fruits out of them.


The tomatoes are thriving though. It seems to me that they have taken much longer to ripen this year than last, but with everything else pooping out on me right now, they're really nice to have.


There's nothing quite like a homegrown tomato!


The garden isn't the only thing experiencing some changes around here. In a few hours I will go pick up Keizo from the airport!! He's here for a mere two weeks, but we have a lot planned, including a trip to San Diego next week after I finish my last week at work. Then when he heads back to Japan, I have 10 days to clean/pack before driving east with Mom to start grad school at the University of Virginia in Charlottesville. Full steam ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment