Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Spanish Tortilla

Almost three years ago now, my family took a trip to Spain.  My brother was studying abroad in Italy for the first part of the summer, but since both my parents and I had been to Italy we decided to meet up in a place that was new to all of us.


We had a great trip, and saw quite a bit of the country on our 10-day guided tour.  We also ate a lot of excellent food--bread, olive oil, ham, tapas, tinto de verano--and last but not least, a Spanish tortilla or two.

A few weeks ago, I was browsing my recipe collection for something to bring to a potluck, and decided to try making a Spanish tortilla on my own.  There were only a few ingredients, most of which are shown here:


I sliced the potatoes and onion with the mandoline slicer, chopped the pepper and sauteed everything in a fry pan with butter and olive oil until the potatoes became soft.


Next I cracked nearly a whole carton of eggs into a bowl; scrambled them with salt, pepper and a bunch of fresh parsley.


I layered the potato mixture into a greased baking dish, and poured the egg mixture on top.  Then the whole thing went into the oven at 375* for 20 minutes or so until the edges started to pull away from the walls of the pan and the center of the eggs were set.


There was not a scrap left after the potluck--I guess people liked it! 


A week later, I had more potatoes, so I made another "tortilla" for myself.  It was also good, but a bit less so after a few days in the fridge.

We have another family adventure coming up at the end of the month...to ALASKA!  I wonder what culinary inspiration I will come back with.  Here's hoping it won't take three years to show up on here!

No comments:

Post a Comment