Sunday, May 27, 2012

Cuckoo for Couscous

I have another baking post in the works, but felt like maybe I should throw in some real food too.  Despite what it may look like on this blog, I do make and eat things that don't come from recipes where the first step is creaming the butter and sugar.

This meal was made up using various things I had on hand; I even made up the dressing, with great success if I may say so myself.  I started a pot of Israeli Couscous on the stove, carefully following the package instructions for light and fluffy results.

                           

I gathered the rest of the ingredients I wanted to use;


sliced the tomatoes, chopped up the spinach and crumbled the feta (see white block above) into a large bowl.


I mixed olive oil, apple cider vinegar, some brown sugar, lemon juice and thyme in a measuring cup and set it aside.  When the couscous was finished, I added it to the veggies and tossed everything with my homemade dressing.  The final result:


a delicious dinner and packed well for lunch the next day.  I like the larger size and chew of Israeli couscous compared to the tiny grains of regular couscous.  Heartier, easier to eat and quick to prepare, I am sure I will be using it in salads all summer long!

No comments:

Post a Comment