Monday, April 2, 2012

Pi Day, Week & Month

I hope no one forgot that 3/14 was Pi Day.  I most certainly did not; however this year it fell on a Wednesday which is my busiest day of the week.  I did however, mention Pi Day to Keizo as though it was a holiday on par with Christmas or New Year's.  I also suggested a recipe I had been wanting to make for a while.  Lo and behold, when I got home from class/work, this gorgeous Key Lime Pi(e) was waiting for me!


We topped it with the recommended sour cream/powdered sugar mixture and had my housemates down for a little celebration/pie swap.


Pi Day officially came and went, but the pie making did not stop.  The next week, on another one of my long days at school, Keizo made an apple pie.  While very photo-worthy, not a single photo exists to commemorate it.

And finally, on his last night in Charlottesville, Keizo and I collaborated on a Peanut Butter Pie, inspired by our dessert at Blue Mountain Brewery.  We loosely followed this recipe, but decided to make our own hot fudge and use real whipped cream.  The end result was way more calories, but fewer chemicals/less high fructose corn syrup.  You decide which you would rather eat.

We started by making the fudge.


Four hands in the kitchen = cool action shots of drippy chocolate.


Then whipped up the cream, using my insanely powerful new hand mixer.


Added the peanut butter & other ingredients.


And crammed all the creamy goodness into the pie shell.


Decorated the top with more fudge, chocolate and PB chips and put it in the freezer.


When it was time for our first pieces, the pie hadn't set for very long and was very gloppy.  But the pieces enjoyed on subsequent days were much better formed.


I made the leftovers last the whole week, but now they are gone, and I am starting to have pie withdrawal.  What ever shall I do?

No comments:

Post a Comment