Monday, October 10, 2011

Fall Break

Greetings from my apartment on a Monday afternoon. I usually have class until 5 PM, but today and tomorrow are "reading days" aka "Fall Break" so there are no classes. Some of my classmates have hopped planes and trains to go elsewhere, but I am using my time to relax and do the things I enjoy. Still, fall break is unbelievably awesome. I want one every month.

I woke up at 8:30 this morning, re-heated some leftover omelet from the other night and poured myself a big cup of coffee. Then I talked to Keizo on Skype for almost 2 hours (he's doing fine), made a list and went to the store. My frequent shopper card actually saved me $7.49 today, which more than covered my impromptu fashion magazine purchase. A quick lunch was eaten and I attacked one of the big items on my fall break to-do list: Apple Coffee Cake.

I found the recipe on Allrecipes, and followed it almost to the letter. I substituted Greek yogurt for the sour cream and my old, need-to-be-used-up apples (the inspiration for the whole endeavor) were over 2 cups when diced.


Apples were sliced and diced.


Don't be fooled by the healthy stuff on the top; there's a half cup of butter and whole cup of sugar under there.


And I am going to put even more sugar on the top!


Assembled and ready to bake!


The topping turned out more puddle-ly than crumbly, but I am certainly not complaining.


The whole thing cooled off just in time for my afternoon snack!


Much better than a mealy apple and the perfect grab-n-go breakfast for when classes resume Wednesday at 9 AM.

No comments:

Post a Comment