Sunday, December 29, 2013

Best Eats of 2013

I am not generally a fan of these posts on other blogs; it is just too hard to compress a whole year into something concise and readable.  Case in point: my "Sayonara 2012" posts where I tried cramming everything about my year into long, monthly recaps.

This year I am sticking with my culinary exploits, and went through my photos to choose the best dish from each month.  Some decisions were more difficult than others; where applicable, the runner-ups also get a mention below.




  1. Pumpkin Roll Cake--really not as difficult as I thought it would be.
  2. Sausage & Potato Calzones-- similar recipe here. Coming home to Keizo making gyoza was a close second.
  3. Simple but delicious Falafel Salad.  This was also the month I started weekly meal roundup posts.
  4. Learning to make Pad Thai at home was a pretty big deal.  I have made it several times since.
  5. Spanish Tortilla; in the baking category, Joy the Baker's Peanut Butter Pretzel Brownies takes first place.
  6. Should really be a tie between hiyashi chuka (cold summer noodles) and "Fingerling Potato-Leek Hash with Swiss Chard and Eggs" with homegrown chard. .  Yum X 2.
  7. Peach Cobbler with Blueberry Topping made the most out of summer produce.
  8. Homemade Pickles--not these exact pickles, but others can be found here
  9. These versatile Black Bean Quinoa Patties made good veggie burgers as well as crumbled salad and nacho toppings.
  10. I could probably eat these Eggplant "Meatballs" at least every other week and not get sick of them.
  11. Apple Slab Pie--roll cakes and pie crusts, oh my!  I think I brought my baking to a new level in 2013.
  12. Christmas Tree Cookies--similar recipe here


2013 saw a vast improvement in blogging from 2012, and I am excited to continue experimenting in the kitchen and documenting it all here in 2014.


Thank you for reading & Happy (almost) New Year!!



No comments:

Post a Comment