Sunday, December 8, 2013

Rise & shine

While simple (and easily portable if I happen to hit the snooze button a few too many times) cold smoothies are not the most appealing winter breakfast.  I have made an exception for "pumpkin pie" smoothies, but lately I am much more likely to eat something warm for breakfast.  Oatmeal and eggs are nearly as easy to made as a smoothie and don't leave me with brain freeze.




Clockwise from top left:

Oatmeal with raspberries, yogurt, granola and honey

My embellished oatmeal usually has 4 components:

  • Vitamins--fruit or canned pumpkin
  • Protein--yogurt or cottage cheese
  • Sweet--honey, a spoon of peanut butter/Nutella or raisins/craisins
  • Crunch--granola, nuts or on particularly bleak mornings a sprinkle of chocolate chips :-)


Egg & cheese "patty" on whole wheat bagel with sweet potato butter

The sweetness of the sweet potato butter is a great counterpoint to the saltiness of the eggs and cheese.

Sometimes I make my eggs by cracking one or two into a bowl and microwaving them for 45-60 seconds. If you want to go this route, be sure to cover the eggs while they cook and start with less time than you think they will need.  This method is quick, and results in a perfectly sandwich-sized egg patty.


Eggs & cheese topped with salsa and served with tortillas

These eggs are made in a small fry pan on the stove.  Before I met Keizo, I only ever made scrambled eggs, but he taught me how to make medamayaki (sunny-side up eggs).  Non-stick skillet and a little bit of patience highly recommended.


Pumpkin pie protein smoothie

This could be easily made without the protein powder.   I have also substituted orange juice for the milk, and it was still good.  The handful of ice is the key to achieving a nice, thick texture.

No comments:

Post a Comment