Thursday, December 16, 2010

Eat Local

Unless you have grown up on a farm, it is very easy to be skeptical and less than enthusiastic about "organic" and "eat local" campaigns. Even as someone with an interest in eating organic and/or locally produced food, I don't find it very easy. Old habits die hard, and it takes a conscientious commitment to seek out and often spend a bit more money on these types of products.

I am far far away from spending every food dollar on things that are both good for me, the environment and the local economy (hello Costco!) but I like to think that every little bit helps. This attitude led me to the "Wai Wai Farm Store" in Fukutsu, which is a local cooperative selling everything from fish and produce to cheese and packaged convenience foods, all made in the surrounding area. I have no idea how much, if any of it is organic, but it's nice to support the neighbors and I rest a bit easier at night knowing that my produce traveled only a few miles to get to my plate (which I hope helps offset the pasta from Costco that claims to have been made in Italy...maybe just a little bit?)

Even without the environmental impact of food engineered to be picked green and ripen while being shipped thousands of miles, there are other reasons to eat local food. Proponents often claim it tastes better, and if recent purchases are any indication, I agree.

Example 1: Potatoes from "Wai Wai Farm Store" in a simple creamy stew (courtesy of Yummy-san's 3 Step Cooking") Bought immediately prior to dinner preparations, the potatoes were incredibly fresh, a tad sweet and practically melted in the mouth. The broccoli and onions were also from the Wai Wai Farm Store, but were overshadowed by the incredible potatoes.


Example 2: Itoshima mikan. Keizo acquired these through a teammate, and recently we have had a daily consumption rate equal to 3 or 4 each. Thank goodness they are small, seedless and easy to peel! I feel that most citrus can really be hit or miss. There is nothing quite like a fresh, juicy orange and little as unappetizing as one that has been frozen and is dry and crunchy as a result. These mikans have been juicy and incredibly sweet. Some of the larger ones are a tad sour, perhaps they are miffed at being stored in the cold stairway and not in the cozy kitchen. Since the stairs lead to the front door, Keizo has made it a point to collect a few every time he goes in or out in an effort to eat them all at the peak of freshness.

Example 3: Grilled shitake mushrooms with soy sauce and butter, served at Naoko-sensei's house. Like many of the delicious things she serves her calligraphy students before class on Wednesday nights, these mushrooms came from her garden. As an adult, I have come a long way from the repulsion I felt as a child to acceptance and even enjoyment of fungi. These shitake took that enjoyment to a whole new level. I honestly didn't know that mushrooms could taste like that, and judging by the "mmmmmms" and "oishiis" uttered by everyone around the table, no one else did either. Warm with a subtle smoky flavor, it didn't take long for the plate to be cleared. I will definitely be trying to recreate this dish on my own.

******

For more information about eating local and the impact of the modern food system on the environment, I recommend checking out grist.org and the books The Ominivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan and Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver.

No comments:

Post a Comment