Saturday, September 15, 2018

Currently - September '18

I'm currently starting to wonder what I should make for dinner, so this introduction is going to be even shorter than usual.



starting - Somehow it's already mid-September, so I'm starting to worry about needing to study for the AICP exam in November. The actual studying has yet to begin, unless you count the half-day prep class I took last year. Maybe tomorrow...

buying - A new carry-on suitcase, since after almost a decade of traveling together, my hot pink rollerboard is starting to come apart. Not wanting to get stranded mid-trip with a suitcase sans handle or wheels, I ordered a similar one and it arrived just in time to take on next week's work trip to Baton Rouge.

sharing - A bit about my Pitzer College experience with prospective students as an alumni interviewer. In this new-to-me role, I've had great conversations with two very bright students which made me a little nostalgic for my college days, but mostly relieved not to be a high school student these days!

reading - Two books I've picked up lately and would recommend are The Longest Date: Life as a Wife by Cindy Chupack and We Were Eight Years in Power: An American Tragedy by Ta-Nehisi Coates. The first is an amusing, yet heartfelt reflection on marriage while the second is a collection of Coates' essays on race and the black experience for the The Atlantic during the Obama years.

recording - Progress on my goals for 2018 in my last post here.

1 comment:

  1. Oh that sounds so interesting to be interviewing potential students at your alma mater. I definitely wouldn't want to turn back time and be a high school student again either. I haven't read We Were Eight Years... but I really want to read another one of Coates' and I'm totally blanking on the title right now.

    ReplyDelete