Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Currently - Feb '15

It's time for another Currently link up with Anne and Jenna


I've been in a bit of a funk this week, but I am "hearting" that we are one day closer to the weekend! I am also "hearting" the new mattress I finally invested in last month after 3.5 years of sleeping on a futon. The whole experience has been rather similar to when I got glasses in 7th grade -- I had no idea what I'd been missing!



I recently finished the novel, The Marriage Plot by Jeffery Eugenides, and started two non-fiction books: How to Win Friends and Influence People and Seabiscuit. The Marriage Plot was a good read, although I did not appreciate the lack of chapter breaks in the prose. Without natural stopping places to guide me, I was able to finish the book much faster overall, but each "session" was much longer than my usual 15-20 minutes before going to sleep.

I picked up my copy of How to Win Friends and Influence People at a used bookstore, and I had no idea how long it has been in circulation! While I am sure the principles still apply today, some of the text is a bit dated. I have set it down at least temporarily after reading a paragraph in which the author explains that he only knows of two people making over $1 million a year, surely a direct result of their incomparable people skills! There might be something to that, but I have moved on to a book that is actually intended to be historical. I've learned a lot about Seabiscuit and the sport of horse racing despite being only about a quarter of the way through the book. I am thankful for the regular breaks in the text and the occasional picture, and in awe of the talent and pure grit exhibited by the main characters.


I only joined Pinterest a few months ago, and will often ignore it during the week. It has been inspirational in helping me get rid of some clutter, and I have recently been pinning images of gallery wall ideas to help add more personality to my otherwise very standard looking apartment.



I rediscovered miso soup this week after picking up some take-out sushi on my way home yesterday. I used to make it pretty regularly as part of my dinner when I lived in Japan, and it's a nice way to warm up on a winter's evening.

On the other end of the temperature spectrum, I have been enjoying Whole Food's house brand gelato as though it were 28*C outside instead of 28*F. I've tried the Salted Caramel and Hazelnut flavors, and I would be hard pressed to choose a favorite between the two.



Keizo will be coming to visit in just two weeks, in what we hope will be his last annual, post-rugby season trip! He's been making these trips since his very first trip to the US in February/March 2010, but I really hope to put an end to the tradition later this year when he gets his visa and can relocate more permanently. I haven't planned much of anything yet, but there are plenty of places in my neighborhood and beyond that I am looking forward to taking him to, as well as spending some quality time hanging out at home in our sweatpants.

Thanks for reading!

5 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you linked up before me (over at Jenna/Anne's blogs) because I was super intrigued by your blog name and interest in all things Japanese (I'm Japanese by the way, haha). :) I never really appreciated miso soup until a few years ago and now I love how warm and yummy it is in the wintertime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's never too cold for ice cream! I haven't tried Whole Foods' gelato, but goodness it sounds tempting. Enjoy the upcoming visit! Finding fun things to do is always great, but so is lounging in sweatpants for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I lovvvve hazelnut gelato! I've never tried WF's brand, though. I'm going to have to go pick some up!
    I'm so glad you linked up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks to you (and Anne) for hosting! It's been fun finding some new blogs to read and taking note of what's happening in my own life at the beginning of each month.

      Delete