Thursday, April 25, 2013

Homemade pad thai

Confession: Every meal with pad thai on this blog has been made from some sort of a box/kit, the sauce likely full of ingredients I can't pronounce and squeezed out of a silvery, plastic packet.  But that changes now, with the discovery of this recipe.  

The hardest part was finding the rice noodles at the grocery store; a task I made more complicated than necessary by assuming they would be lying on the shelf in a plastic bag, rather than standing up in a box.  Hope this tip helps someone else avoid multiple trips down the import foods aisle.


Following the advice in several of the comments, I doubled the sauce recipe (but stopped at 5 Tbsp of sugar instead of the full 6 because it seemed like a lot).


I also kept it vegetarian, eschewing chicken and shrimp for some pan-seared tofu, seasoned with salt, pepper and a little paprika.


In typical fashion, I added vegetables until the whole dish threatened to overflow onto the stove...


...which it pretty much did with the addition of the tofu and garnishes.


I carefully scooped some onto a plate, squeezed some lime juice on top (don't skip this step!) and ate.


I was quite pleased with my first foray into homemade pad thai; it tasted like I expected and made great leftovers.  Two really good things, as I have a 1/2 box of rice noodles and 3/4 bottle of fish sauce lingering in the cupboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment