Monday, January 21, 2013

Better late than never...

Not exactly the most inspiring title for a post about New Year's Resolutions, but since it's somehow already January 21st (!) it's pretty appropriate.

Our handmade nengajo

The fact that it has taken me three weeks into the 2013 to write down my resolutions is something I want to work on.  I tend to over-think things, particularly small details, which in the grand scheme of things is a waste of precious time and energy.  Less thinking, more doing!

Even as I type this, I have multiple browser tabs open, re-reading other bloggers' posts about resolutions and browsing a workbook that is supposed to help you choose a word/mantra for the year.  All more distracting than actually helpful...

So, my mantra for 2013 is "back to basics" I hope it reminds me to:

  • Wake up with my alarm clock (or set it later.  Really, what good is 30 extra minutes of "sleep" interrupted every 9 minutes?)
  • Do the dishes and other small, annoying tasks as they arise.
  • Apply "use it or lose it" to clothes, accessories and other household items.  
  • Focus on one thing at time to be more productive overall.
  • Plan for the "big rocks," or big tasks/goals and let the "pebbles" fill in the gaps.  Some "big rocks" for 2013 include:
    • Two (or more) running events
    • Spring break/Beach Week trips
    • Scheduling time for paid work each week


Shoes too cool not to run in (thanks Andrew!)

In addition to the broader goals above, I will continue to keep track of the following weekly/monthly benchmarks on the color-coded calendar in my kitchen.

  • Exercise 40+ minutes at least 4 times per week. (16X/month)
  • Cook from a recipe at least 1 time per week. (4X/month)
  • Write 1 blog post per week. (4X/month)
  • Try something new once a week. (4X/month)
  • Write 2+ letters per month. (2X/month)


Spaghetti squash + tomato sauce from Jan's BH&G
I started doing this last year, and found it pretty motivational, especially where exercise was concerned.  But  I didn't do anything to evaluate my progress apart from cursory visual surveys.  This year, I would like to have a simple spreadsheet of monthly totals to look back on.

I've conveniently avoided goals regarding graduation in May and finding a job because both are more than a bit terrifying and have the potential to completely take over my life, which is not what I want.  I have some soul-searching (and practical research) to do in regards to where I end up after school and I will just have to find a way to fit it all in along with my regularly scheduled programming.

Here's to fun and fulfilling 2013!

No comments:

Post a Comment