Saturday, February 18, 2012

Veg Out

Overall, "winter" has been really mild this year.  The cold days I have complained about here have been intermingled with sunny ones with temperatures in the high 50's/low 60's.  My crock pot is collecting dust in the cabinet and my wool sweaters are languishing in their drawer.

But on Thursday, we had a grey, rainy day with temps in the 40's--soup weather!  With a bunch of vegetables, this one was good for the body and psyche.

I started with this Classic Minestrone Recipe, omitting the celery and adding some potato and soy sausage.



I put the carrots & potatoes in the microwave for a few minutes while I sauteed the onion, "soy-sage" and some garlic in the pan.  Perfectly timing my soups so that everything is cooked but not overdone is something I am working on.


I removed the "soy-sage" and onions and added the broth to the pot with the vegetables.  I boiled them for about 7 minutes and added the beans, tomatoes and pasta.  Just before the pasta was done, I added the zucchini and onion mixture and let the whole thing simmer for a few minutes while I toasted up some garlic bread.



YUM.  Good right away and better the next day for lunch after the flavors melded a bit.  I have several servings left, but I am out of bread!

No comments:

Post a Comment