Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Currently - February '17

February is here already, but more importantly, there's now a chance of leaving work with a bit of daylight left! Linking up again with Anne and this month's guest host Erin for another Currently post. Please stop by and see what other's have been up to - I think you'll be glad you did. :-)


packing - We packed a picnic to eat at Harpers Ferry National Historic Park this past Sunday. It was a bit cold and windy to enjoy sitting still, but more pleasant once we were moving - hiking around Civil War battle sites and through the small historic town at the confluence of the Shenandoah and Potomac Rivers. I would like to go back in spring or summer as the views, while impressive, were all pretty gray during the winter.

jonesing - Even before attending the kick-off meeting this week for a project I'll be working on in Key West, I've been wanting to be somewhere warm and sunny. Winter has been really mild, but every year around this time, I start feeling really pasty, tired of all my sweaters, and long to wear wear light jackets for looks rather than thick ones out of necessity.

texting - One of the highlights of this week has been emailing/texting with one of my best friends since 3rd grade to arrange a meet up while she's in town for a conference. I'm really looking forward to trying a new restaurant and spending an evening with someone I usually only communicate with via snail mail.

reading - Somewhat unusual for me, I have a few books in progress. I've started Devil in the White City and Mighty Be Our Powers recently and found them both a bit too violent for reading before bed. My mom fulfilled my Christmas list wish with a copy of Ruth Bader Ginsberg's In My Own Words, which I am finding inspirational during these stressful and uncertain times. However, I've just just reached the chapters highlighting her legal career, and worry this one might become a bit too dense to read at the end of the day.  

hearting - All of the little things Keizo does for me around the house that let me know I'm loved - leaving hot coffee and a friendly note in the kitchen when he has an early morning shift, washing out my lunch containers in the evenings, and leaving the front light on for me anytime I am due home after dark. They're all perfect reminders that it doesn't take much to make a positive difference in someone else's day, and help me remember to slow down and practice gratitude.

8 comments:

  1. I love all the little things that were done for you. It really doesn't take much to make someone's day. I hope you enjoy your current reads!

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, the slowly increasing amount of daylight is so great, isn't it? As are sweet little gestures from your honey. And I feel you on the level of pasty...ugh. Thanks for joining in again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure. Hope more sun is heading your way soon!

      Delete
  3. Your husband sounds like the sweetest. How cool getting to meet up with your elementary school friend! Enjoy your visit. :) Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep - he's pretty great! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. Aww, loved your last point! Those little notes and thoughtful acts of service can make all the difference!

    ReplyDelete