Thursday, May 29, 2014

New Recipes: May

I am right on target for May with four new recipes this month!  And even better, no duds like in April.

First up were Lentil "Meatballs" with Lemony Pesto.  The recipe is slightly more involved than the ones I usually choose for myself, and in preparing the meal I made a pretty big mess.  The end result was totally worth it though, and I bet I can make it in a more streamlined way next time around.

I couldn't find  basil at the grocery store (I swear, everyone is making pesto every week...there is never any there when I shop,) and I didn't want to prune my own tiny plant down to a stalk, so I substituted more parsley and greens in the pesto.  Otherwise I followed the recipe pretty closely.



Next, I took care of an excess of squishy bananas the best way I know how: combining them with generous amounts of butter, sugar and chocolate to make Double Chocolate Banana Muffins.  The result was much closer to a cupcake without frosting and made excellent mid-morning snacks as long as they lasted.  With this recipe, I feel I have restored my baking credibility after last month's miss with the peanut butter banana cookies--phew!



I don't remember quite how I came across this recipe on the internet, but it sounded too good not to try: White Pizza Quinoa Casserole.  The ingredient list was full of things I like, but don't always have on hand which was the perfect excuse to make a trip to Trader Joe's and spend a little too much money.

Overall, a good recipe but I felt like there was a little something missing.  Maybe it's been a bit too warm to really enjoy a cheesy baked casserole, or maybe it needs a little extra flavor from some meat, like pancetta?  With the weather getting warmer, a remake of this recipe will have to wait until fall, but I think it's worth a shot.



The fourth new recipe this month was Crunchy Mandarin Salad with Miso Chicken.  I have made various renditions of this before, but this was my first attempt with this particular recipe (found on a loose sheet of paper with handwritten notes at my aunt's house) and adding chicken.

The salad was a winner, and the chicken marinade smelled wonderful.  I highly recommend toasting the almonds and ramen noodles that get sprinkled on the salad for a bit of extra flavor.  I also made the dressing in a jar, and dressed each serving as I ate them throughout the week.  The next time I make the chicken, I will let it sit a bit longer than the recommended two hours, and maybe by then I will have learned how to not overcook chicken.  I am so afraid of it being pink in the middle that most of my chicken dishes turn out a bit dry.


It doesn't look like it in the photo, but I promise there are leafy salad ingredients under all of the toppings!

I will be very impressed with myself I can keep up a new recipe per week through the summer.  My desire to cook tends to wane when it gets warm, and my diet shifts to lots of salads and frozen treats.  Technically, a new kind of homemade popsicle every week would count, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment