Saturday, June 2, 2012

Same, but different

I can't remember the last time I actually used a recipe to make dinner.  On Wednesday, I had good intentions of changing that, using this recipe for stuffed poblano peppers from Better Homes & Gardens.

The picture looks straight forward enough:  pepper vessels for a yummy medley of recognizable things I probably have on hand.  Right?


Wrong.  I made so many substitutions that by the end, my dinner was only very loosely based on the recipe. Pepper vessel, check.  Filling, check.  Actual use of listed ingredients?  Close to zero.

It was still nice to try something new and use up some things at the same time.  One of those things was frozen sausage Keizo brought back from his adventure to Polyface Farm back in March.  


I scrambled up the sausage in the fry pan, adding onions, chopped green peppers and some frozen veggies to the mix while a big pot of brown rice cooked up on the other side of the stove.



When the rice was done, I mixed it and a can of drained black beans with the sausage mixture.  I scooped some into pepper halves and put them in the oven for about 15 minutes, adding some shredded cheese to the top during the last few minutes.


Looking lovely, but the peppers still needed something.  Gourmand that I am, I smothered both halves in ketchup!


Perfect.  Who needs recipes?

No comments:

Post a Comment