Sunday, November 28, 2010

What the in world is a betsu bara?

"Betsu bara" is a Japanese expression that translates literally to "separate stomach." It is usually used to refer to a person who after eating a large meal still has room for dessert. For those who know me well, it should come as no surprise that this is one of my favorite Japanese expressions.

My betsu bara plays by the rules (i.e. always space for something sweet after a meal) but my boyfriend Keizo's betsu bara is more of a free spirit, engulfing anything from cake and ice cream to several extra helpings of curry and rice. If I worked out for a living (he's a professional rugby player) I would probably do the same. But since I don't, his stomach capacity never ceases to amaze me.

Food and eating play a large role in our relationship. Since meeting in 2008 we have both tried new cuisines and honed our culinary skills--first in my kitchen with nearly zero counter space and now in his where the slightly larger work surface takes up any floorspace that could be used by a second chef. Despite the odds (food related and otherwise), we have turned out some delicious meals. There is little doubt in my mind that food tastes better when shared, so this blog is for sharing our delicious victories and maybe even a few comical failures.

Here's to continuing the adventure!!

No comments:

Post a Comment