Sunday, November 28, 2010

Tried and true

I doubt even celebrity TV chefs can make gourmet meals day in and day out. So considering my non-TV chef status and the frequency that I have been cooking lately (lunch and dinner, several days a week) it's not a surprise I have fallen back on some easy favorites.

First up is TACOS RICE! Tacos rice and I first fell in love during a vacation in Okinawa during my first stint in Japan. Steamy white rice, smothered with taco meat, lettuce, tomatoes, cheese and salsa. Eating is believing. Of course it helped that I hadn't eaten real Mexican food for months prior to my introduction to tacos rice. But even after a year back in Arizona, I still think tacos rice is legit. Which is why it appeared on the table during a recent lunch hour.


And second, the ever popular KARE RAISU! Or in plain English, curry rice. I had no idea that curry was a popular Japanese convenience food. Not that it's the same "curry" you would find in India or Thailand; for starters, its about 1,000 times milder. I like my curry with tons and tons of vegetables. And only vegetables. But since I am cooking in lieu of rent these days, I also need to satisfy Keizo's dietary needs, so I believe I put some pork in this batch. Whatever was left over from dinner the night before. Plus carrots, onion, kabocha (Japanese pumpkin,) potatoes and some eggplant. Keizo made the salad, which is spinach with frozen mixed veggies and apple slices with a lemon shiso dressing. Oishikatta! (It was delicious)


No comments:

Post a Comment